Motor Vehicle Services in Tucson, AZ

Issuance, Renewal or Replacement of a Permanent Disability Plate/ Placard
A Disability plate is issued by MVD to a vehicle for an individual with a medical condition after being determined eligible by a healthcare professional. The Disability plate allows an individual closer parking to facilities.

The Disability plate/placard may be issued to:
  • An individual who has permanent physical disabilities
  • To an organization who transports persons with physical disabilities

A properly completed Disability-Hearing Impaired Plate/Placard Application, form #96-0104 must be submitted.

Duplicate Registrations:
  • Replace Registrations forms that have been either lost or stolen.

Required information:

  • Proper ID is required from the registered owner
  • Vehicle Identification Number or
  • License Plate Number
Level 1 Inspections
A Level 1 Inspection is conducted to verify the Vin number on the vehicle matches the paperwork that is presented in order to complete a title or registration transaction. Some reasons for a Level 1 Inspection are:

  • No ownership documentation – prior to starting the Bonded Title procedures
  • Titling and/or registering a Cab and Chassis vehicle for the first time
  • Renewing a Cab and Chassis vehicle.
  • Any time the identification is in question (i.e. VIN, body style, fuel type, the cubic centimeters (cc) listed for the engine capacity, etc.)

A Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) is a printout of the customer's information on file with the Division, pertaining to the driving status or history of:

  • Individual Driver License
  • Instruction Permit
  • Identification License
  • Title
  • Vehicle Permit
  • Lienholder
  • Mobile Home
Motor Vehicle Record Requests
Each MVR being requested requires a properly completed Motor Vehicle Record Request, form #46-4416.

The requestor must:

  • Complete, sign and have the request notarized by a notary or witnessed by an MVD Agent or ATPP
  • Mark at least one “Permissible Use” on the back, unless the customer is requesting their own record

Permits: Permits are designed to provide temporary registration to a vehicle while waiting for proper paperwork to complete a title transaction or registration in this state.

Restricted Use 3-Day Permit

The Restricted Use 3-Day Permit is issued to allow an unregistered vehicle to go to:

  • Emissions testing
  • Vehicle inspection
  • To apply for title and/or registration
  • Repair(s) to comply with emissions or inspection

An ownership document is not required to purchase this permit but the customer must provide:

  • Year
  • Make
  • VIN

This permit is not valid for highway use.

30-Day General Use Permit
A 30-Day General Use Permit may be issued when a customer does not have the proper documentation required to obtain Arizona title and/or registration and no other permit applies.

A 30-Day General Use Permit:

  • Is valid in Arizona or out-of-state
  • May be issued to a vehicle only once in a 12 month period
  • Valid for a period of thirty days, including weekends and holidays

An ownership document must be provided, for example:

  • Vehicle Certificate of Title
  • Vehicle registration
  • Notarized bill of sale
  • Dealer invoice
  • Copy of security agreement
  • Authorized possession of the vehicle
90-Day Resident Registration
The 90-Day Resident Registration may be issued for any of the following reasons:

  • A Bond Title is in process
  • The customer is waiting on document(s) that are required to title and/or register a vehicle and a 30-Day General Use permit will not provide sufficient time to obtain the documents
  • A financial institution is completing paperwork (waiting for loan papers, a lien release, etc.) and there are no plates on the vehicle
  • The ADEQ has issued a 90-Day waiver and the vehicle registration is expired or expiring
  • The Temporary Registration Plate (TRP) has expired and the title transaction has not yet been processed by the dealer
  • A Level I Inspection is required
  • Time is needed in settling an estate
90-Day Nonresident (Drive-Out) Permit
This permit is issued to:

  • A nonresident who purchases a vehicle in Arizona and will be registering the vehicle in their home state, and driven or delivered out-of-state

Proof of ownership is required and may be any of the following:

  • Vehicle title
  • Vehicle registration
  • Notarized bill of sale
  • Dealer invoice
  • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO)
  • Out of state Driver License is required
Registration Renewal
Renewal of registration occurs when the registration of a currently registered vehicle is renewed for a one, two or five-year period. The customer may renew the registration up to six months prior to the registration expiration date.

Documents that may be required are:

  • Vehicle registration
  • Vehicle title
  • Current Emissions Inspection
  • Valid Driver License or ID

Replacement License Plates or Tabs or Registrations:

  • Issue replacements License plate or Tabs that have been either lost or stolen.

Required information:

  • Proper ID is required from the registered owner
  • Vehicle Identification Number or
  • License Plate Number
Sold Notice
A sold notice is an action taken by the customer, notifying MVD that ownership of a vehicle/mobile home has been transferred to someone else.
Special Plates
Special plates are plates that depict specific emblems pertaining to certain individuals or organizations. Some special plates:

  • May require either the owner and/or vehicle to qualify for the plate
  • Some special plates may require additional documentation, for example: a person requesting a Veteran plate needs to show a copy of a DD214 or similar documentation
Title Transfer
A Certificate of Title (title) is the OWNERSHIP DOCUMENT of a vehicle/mobile home. When the owner of a vehicle decides to sell it to an individual, company, or dealership, the current Title must be properly assigned and endorsed.

When an Arizona vehicle is being sold to a new owner (buyer), the back of the title should display:

  • The buyer's information
  • The date the vehicle was sold
  • Lien holder, if applicable for the buyer
  • The Odometer Reading, as applicable
  • The seller(s)'s signature with notarization*
  • The buyer's acknowledgement of the Odometer, as applicable

There are certain requirements for a notary that must be met:

  • The date of the notarization must be present and legible

An Arizona notary must use:

  • A rubber stamp if the commission expires on or after July 20, 2000
  • The notary's name and county they are commissioned must all be legible
  • The notary's commission expiration date must be legible

Note: On the date the document was notarized, the expiration date of the notary's commission must have been current.
Salvage Vehicle
A vehicle/trailer that has been damaged and/or deemed a total loss due to an accident, un-recovered theft, or becomes Non-repairable by an insurance company that paid a claim on the vehicle.

  • The current Title of record is required.
Restored Salvage Vehicle
When a salvage vehicle/trailer has been rebuilt or restored, the owner must obtain a Restored Salvage Branded Title before driving the vehicle on the highways or towing the trailer.

Required Documents:

  • The current Salvage Title
  • Level III Inspection stating the title can be branded restored.
  • A current Emissions Inspection may also be required
Call us 520-573-7789 to learn more about our services in Tucson, AZ.